Monthly Archives: December 2013
As our way of helping you, our lovely readers, to get to know the Danilo Team a bit better, every month we will now be posting a fun interview from one of our fab employees.
This month, we are getting to know the fabulous Lorraine, who has been with Danilo since the very beginning 35 years ago!
She tells us how she came to work for Danilo: “My sister in law worked for Laurence’s brother and she told me Laurence was looking for someone, our office was in Bath Street EC1 about 10 x 20 feet with one desk that we shared in the beginning I really knew I was there to stay when I got my own desk!!”
She continues: “I remember when we advertised the Elvis calendar in the press and various magazines, the Post Office van arrived with sack loads, I sat and opened every envelope and banked all the Cheques and postal orders then packed the envelopes along with Laurence and various members of my family.”
She says of MD Laurence “He has always been such a good person to work for, I don’t think I could have found a better boss. We had such fun in the early days and I still love working here now, its such a friendly company!”
And we asked Lorraine the following questions:
1. What was your first job?
2. What is the best part of your job?
I don’t have a best part, i enjoy all of it.
3. How do you relax?
I don’t’ – I’m always busy
4. What is your most treasured possession?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Laurence Prince (its true! )
6. Who would play you in the film of your life?
Charlize Theron (of course !!)
7. Who are your favourite business leaders?
Karen Brady & Richard Branson
8. What do you consider your greatest achievements?
My Son & 39 years married (oh and all my years at Danilo)
9. What 3 words would a colleague or a friend use to describe you?
You would have to ask them
10. What is the best advice you have ever received?
Be nice to people on the way up, you might meet them on the way down
Here is a picture of Lorraine (in middle) at our recent 35th Birthday party
As the 2 week countdown till Christmas begins, there are some very organised souls who would have already bought, wrapped and placed their Christmas presents under the tree, but there will always be the last-minuters who put off this annual task as long as possible!
If this sounds like you, then read on as we have some top tips to help you get through your shopping with the least amount of stress possible…
Step One: Complete a list
Make sure you prepare a list of names you need to shop for and any present ideas you may have. If no ideas spring to mind, their favourite store vouchers, alcohol (obviously adults only), money wallets (available in all good card shops) and jewellery always make nice gifts. Don’t forget to buy your Christmas cards as well!
Step Two: Prepare for your trip
The day before you plan to hit the shops, make sure you have a backpack (if you don’t want to be carrying hundreds of bags) and a bottle of water (so you stay hydrated) ready to take with you. Try to get a good night’s sleep so you feel revitalised and ready to take on the challenge ahead.
Step Three: Head to the shops solo
As lovely as it is to shop with a friend, you will be far more productive and be able to get your shopping done quicker if you can just whip round the stores you need to visit.
Step Four: Plan your route
Take a look at the shopping centre map and work out the quickest route to visit all stores you need and start shopping!
Step Five: If all else fails….you can always:
- Shop Online – but make sure you check last posting dates to ensure your present arrives when needed.
- Make your own gifts – there are some great easy gifts you can make yourself such as your own hampers or food presents.
And our last top tip would be…don’t forget to mark an earlier Christmas shopping date in your 2014 calendar / diary 😉
35 years ago, Danilo Promotions first began when our MD Laurence Prince recognised the public’s mood and need to celebrate Elvis’ life, after his tragic death in 1977
He flew to LA to meet Colonel Tom Parker and managed to secure the rights to the FIRST Official Licensed Calendar (Elvis, 1979) and the rest, as they say, is history!
Since then Danilo has sold over 100 million calendars and 100 million cards and has grown to become Europe’s Number One official licensed calendar publisher, and we couldn’t be prouder!
To celebrate this fantastic achievement, a special birthday party was organised at the beautiful Serpentine Sackler Gallery in London. With approx 150 guests attending, we enjoyed a champagne reception, a fantastic magic show, a trio of singing waiters plus the icing on the birthday cake, so to speak, was a video message from Sir Cliff Richard himself, thanking Danilo for publishing his calendars all these years and wishing Danilo even more success for the future.
In his speech, MD Laurence Prince mentioned just how proud he was of his staff, how much he values his close business relationships and thanked everyone, including his wife Josephine and family, for their continual support.
35 years marks an important milestone for the company and reminds us of everything achieved so far. But with some very exciting plans in the pipeline for the future, we say bring on the next 35 years! 🙂
Here are a few fun facts that you may not know about Danilo Promotions…
- In addition to the 100 million cards, Danilo has sold over 15 million sound cards
- We have sold over 3 million Cliff Richard calendars
- 1 in 4 UK householders buy and have an official Danilo calendar on their wall every year
- Danilo has over 50 Industry Awards for our products
- Danilo has a whole team of designers dedicated to designing all our calendars in house
- Danilo has worked with over 1500 Brands / Licenses
- This year we have published over 180 different calendar titles
- This year our 3 top selling calendars are : One Direction, Minecraft and Dr Who 50th Anniversary Special